The Parker Family

The Parker Family

Friday, February 10, 2012

Life

It is Thursday evening and our time in Africa is coming to an end.  We have packed our bags, said our emotional goodbyes to the children at the transition home, and are now beginning our long journey back home – closing the chapter on what has been a powerful and unforgettable experience.

We are at the airport.  After successfully navigating the many ticketing, immigration, and security lines – we finally make it to our gate.  Joseph’s excitement is worn all over his face – his smiles have come early and often on this very special day … demonstrating the irrepressible excitement of a young boy whose longing for the love a family half way across the world will soon be realized. 

In the midst of this whirlwind of excitement and anticipation, I see Joseph starring outside the window at our gate.  It is rare moment of quiet reflection.  He seems lost in his thoughts (even if just momentarily) as he stares expectantly at the dark landscape that lies beyond the airport runway.  I watch and wonder what must be racing through his heart as he tries to absorb all that is unfolding.

As they make the call to board, Joseph smiles, reaches for my hand, and in an excited and thick Ethiopian accent says … “Dad … ready!?”.  He could never have imagined the depth and significance of that simple question.  The profundity is not lost on me.  In my humanness, in my sin, in my weaknesses … I know that I am not ‘ready’.  I am flawed and fallen… and more often than not, I am centered on self, rather than the needs of others.  And then, in that moment, I know that it is precisely because of my brokenness that I am exactly where God has called me.  I know that I AM ready … because I AM REDEEMED!  The glorious good news of the gospel is my hope … my strength.  It is my Rock and Redeemer that equips me for this journey.  This glorious truth lifts my spirits high … I smile at the remarkable beauty of adoption.  It is woven within the very fabric of our faith story … standing at the foundation of our hope and redemption.

I smile, take Jospeh’s hand, and answer with a resounding ‘YES’.  The promises of Ephesians 3:20-21 buoy my spirt as we begin our journey home, “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever.  Amen.”
Joseph ... preparing to come home!


1 comment:

  1. Mike, thank you for your posts and the pictures, all of which loudly proclaim the awesomeness of our glorious Heavenly Father! Praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete