The Parker Family

The Parker Family

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hope

It early Tuesday morning as I type.  The dark sky is beginning to awaken with early glimpses of light that are certain to bring another magnificent sunrise above the city and people of Addis Ababa.  The air is crisp and quiet … with only the sounds of an Orthodox priest chanting morning prayers that echo over the valley in the distance.  My heart is full this morning as I recall the images, experiences, and blessings of this journey. 

Our reunion with Joseph yesterday, the emotional encounters with the children at the transition home, and the unexpected blessing of fellowship with Gabe and Connie (who flew to Addis yesterday from Mekele) has my spirit soaring with praise in these early morning hours of quiet reflection.  As I pause with a pensive stare to the landscape surrounding me … my mind is flooded with the images Joseph, Samuel, and the dear children still living at the transition home.  These images and the experience of ages, races, and languages melting into a time of rich fellowship, laughter, and love and have touched me deeply.  They have provided a glimpse of the glories of God’s provision - a tiny taste of what it must look and feel like in the “new heavens and new earth” spoken of in Isaiah 65.  Yesterday was the culmination of years of prayerful petitioning … the opportunity see the script of God’s beautiful story of adoption celebrated before our very eyes.
With all of the redemptive beauty and blessing that filled our day … my mind is brought to Romans 4:18 – 22.  Highlights of this passage include, “In hope he believed against hope … he did not weaken in faith … No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised.  That is why his faith was ‘counted to him as righteousness”. This powerful passage holds deep meaning and significance in my life for many reasons.  It is a passage chronicling the faith of Abraham – capturing our deepest faith experiences. It touches upon the trial, trust, and triumph that we often taste on this side of heaven.  It is a powerful passage depicting prolonged brokenness, unwavering belief, and the beauty of God’s steadfast promises of provision. 
In many ways … it captures much of what I have felt and experienced on this journey to Joseph. 
This morning my faith is strengthened and I am praising God for the richness of his blessing.  I am also feeling a sense of the ‘not yet there’, the lingering effects of the Fall … the continuing hurt and uncertainty of those children that still remain at the transition home with no family bringing them home.  Beneath their beautiful faces, handshakes, and hugs …you can see the longing in their eyes for the love of a mom & dad … you can see the sense of brokenness they carry with no family to love and care for them.  They grasp for my hand early & often … and cling tightly throughout our visit.  Tears fall from their innocent faces as we say our goodbyes … it breaks my heart. 
Through this pain … I pray.  I praise God for our Joseph and for the Carlsons and Samuel.  For the Jones family and Luke.  For other families coming forward and for the amazing love stories that I know God is weaving together.  And I pray for those children still waiting … I pray ‘without wavering’.  I pray and hope and believe – fully convinced in God’s powerful hand of provision.
The sun has now risen … the light is shining.  Symbolic in so many ways.  I begin Day 3 … with a humble and hopeful heart.
Joseph (between Jonah and I), Samuel (front), Dibora (Larry & Krista's daughter under my arm), and the beautiful children at the transition home.

1 comment:

  1. Praising the Lord as I read your post! Praying for you all! And for the children who will remain there for now.

    ReplyDelete